The Parkinson’s Group sessions helps the participant and their family members to learn skills and practical techniques needed to overcome the daily problems posed by the condition, particular difficulties they face, and helps them to find the positive outlook and self-confidence they need to manage the condition in their everyday life. Conductive Education offers no cure for Parkinson’s, but offers the participant the opportunity to maximise their use of movements.
In addition to improvements in bodily control, at all stages of the drug cycle, participants can increase confidence and self-assurance through taking an active part in finding solutions to everyday problems. This renewed confidence in their abilities can enable you to lead a more active and independent life.
All aspects of living with Parkinson’s are addressed. Alongside the restrictions and frustrations caused by the loss of mobility, we understand the emotional side effects – loss of confidence, the social embarrassment and sense of isolation, that can accompany Parkinson’s.
Planning and recording of progress are guided by the principles of Conductive Education. Each person has the potential to improve from their starting point; the conductor is constantly looking for such opportunities and such potential.
- Create an inspiring, motivating and positive atmosphere in order to enjoy learning together with people with a similar diagnosis
- Increase confidence in own abilities.
- Improved quality of life for the participant and for their family.
- Maintenance of the condition and assistance with daily management.
- Improve bodily control and mobility.
- Breathing techniques to help control the volume and articulation of speech.
- Increased ability to overcome the inhibitions, restrictions and frustrations that accompany Parkinson’s.
- Increased knowledge of the neurological implications of the condition.
- Practical strategies for improving ability to access movements and to use within daily activities.
- Techniques to enable all the family to ensure maximum potential.
- Provide opportunities to meet other people with Parkinson’s.
Attendance: Group sessions take place weekly on Tuesdays 9:30 – 11:30, Wednesday 10:00 – 12:00, fortnightly Thursdays 10.30 – 12.30 and 2:00 – 4:00 and Friday 1:30 – 3:30pm